Assignment 3: Critical Reflection
Module Learning:
Prior to the start of this module, my goals for this class was to improve my communication skills, particularly in report writing. My time in National Service, though fruitful had given me the opportunity to interact with individuals from all walks of life. This transformed the way that I communicated with others, but it also dwindled my ability to communicate professionally. Looking back over the past 13 weeks, I believed that I have gained more than I expected. The materials covered in class was extensive, and though I often struggled with them, realizing how essential these skills are in the future helped me to stay focused in my learning.
The concepts taught in class such as the Paul-Elder Framework and Dewey's model of Reflection have been instrumental in helping me to conceptualize my ideas and put them into paper. In doing so, I was able to refine my thought process from ideation to planning and creation. One thing that I truly appreciated was how we were encouraged to use generative AI platforms like ChatGPT and CoPilot in our writing process, leveraging on them to refine our writings and accelerate our learning. By learning how to use the right prompts, we can access a world of resources at our feet, allowing me to organize my thoughts better and improve the quality of my work.
One thing that I want to continue to work on is my attention to detail in report writing, as I tend to make careless mistakes such as the lack of proper citation and parallel structure. These mistakes, though minor, can compound and affect the overall quality of my reports.
Project Learning:
One key area of focus in our research project on the XYZ Reality Atom with Emeterm is my presentation skills and teamwork. I learned to effectively communicate my thoughts in a constructive manner that does not offend but also edify and affirm my teammates. Working with my teammates also helped me to learn more about their strengths, weaknesses and communication styles, and I realized we all complement each other. By addressing each other's shortcomings, we had become a more effective group.
Reflecting on the presentation component of the project, I was actually very surprised at my newfound confidence. During presentation, I was able to deliver my content in a smooth and engaging manner which I did not expect since I used to struggle with public speaking. But even though I was stronger in my oral skills, I realized that I still have to work on creating better presentation slides. This is because slides are an effective visual tool so making more engaging slides be it through graphics or content can help me to further improve on my overall delivery.
Final thoughts:
I think everyone have certain misconceptions with regards to a communication modules. Initially, I thought writing a report was simple, requiring only a basic structure without any real need for a step-by-step approach. I felt that the content covered in class had stifled my creativity and in a sense, felt limiting. However, I have since learnt that concepts like paraphrasing and parallel points are actually essential for writing a better report. These techniques provide the necessary clarity and structure, helping to communicate ideas more effectively. By applying the knowledge gained in this course, I can now become a more organized and impactful communicator,
I am grateful that, under the guidance of Prof. Brad and the help of my fellow classmates, I was able to take a few steps closer to writing a better report. However, I recognize that there is still much more room for growth. Continuous reflection and ongoing practice are key to improving my communication skills. With time and consistent effort, I believe I can refine these skills further and become a more effective communicator.
Thank you, Zenden, for this honest, open reflection. Many of the points you raise are heartening but in particular your appreciation of the way we have encouraged the use of gAI.
ReplyDeleteAll the best in your continuing learning journey and for life in general!
Thanks Prof for all of your guidance! Wishing you all the best too and happy retirement!
Delete